Certainly one of the oldest and most beautiful in the Médoc, La Tour Carnet castle was built in the 12th century. It owes its name to the squire Carnet who received it as an inheritance from Lord Jean de Foix, as a reward for his bravery. Classified fourth grand cru in 1855, its wine was at the time in the hands of the Leutken family, who thus gave it new hours of glory. Then affected like everyone else by vine diseases, wars and economic crises, it experienced a long period of decline. This ended in 1972, when the Gironde shipowner Louis Lipschitz acquired the estate. He restored the buildings and replanted the vines, before passing them on in 1978 to his daughter Marie-Claire Pèlegrin. She continued the work until 1999, when Bernard Magrez, owner of Château Pape Clément, acquired it. Since this date, relying on the advice of the famous oenologist Michel Rolland, major renovation and improvement work has been undertaken at the castle, the vineyard, the vat room and the cellar. Frédéric Chabaneau has been technical director since 2010, replacing Anne Le Naour.